1. Read THIS to see the evidence about the lack of support in MOST U.S. hospitals.
With those facts established, the best advice for those who plan to breastfeed: Educate yourself about how breastfeeding works BEFORE your baby is born.
2. Start HERE. And then go
3. HERE to get the info you need to get breastfeeding off to the right start.
4. Find a lactation consultant HERE. It’s wise to connect by phone with an LC you are comfortable with and who makes house calls in your area, before you have your baby, just in case you need assistance.
5. And please, hire a postpartum doula. (Call me if you live in Northern New Jersey 973-291-8200) A postpartum doula will come into your home and help you get breastfeeding off to a good start. TIP: Before you hire a doula, ask about training and experience helping breastfeeding moms.
6. Finally, when you are given formula at the hospital (and most likely, you will BE) just say “NO.”
BTW: If you already did have a hospital birth in the U.S. did you receive a “gift pack” of formula?
Email me at email@example.com; visit my Facebook page.