THIS IS A GUEST POST BY READING SPECIALIST STACEY LOSCALZO
An experienced reading specialist and speech language pathologist, Stacey Loscalzo is today’s go-to authority for parents who wish to instill a lifelong love of reading in children. The mother of two young daughters, Stacey knows that reading aloud with children puts them on the path to long-term educational success.
I give books as baby gifts. To the baby. And many times, the well-meaning new parent will tell me how much the older sibling will love the book. Or that they can’t wait until they can read the book to the baby. I am always happy to tell them that I have a second book for the older sibling and that I have good news. They don’t have to wait to start reading to the baby. In fact, they should NOT wait.
As Mem Fox, the talented Australian children’s book author and author of Reading Magic: Why Reading Aloud to our Children will Change their Lives Forever, says,
“The best time to start reading aloud to a baby is the day it is born. The lilting rhythm of a simple bedtime book on that first thrilling, exhausting day is soothing for the tremulous parents and the new child and adds to the bonding between them. It gives them something to “talk about” together.”
Recent research into brain development tells us that a baby’s brain is only 25% developed at birth. It is all the love and stimulation provided by the baby’s family that helps to develop the remaining 75%.
Why then wouldn’t we want to read, read and read some more?
By the age of one, children will have learned all the sounds that make up their native language. How important then, to establish the language of literature in their brains. Babies should hear the “Once upon a times” and the structures of writing that they will not hear in everyday talk.
Experts state that children need to hear a thousand stories read aloud before they begin to learn to read on their own. While this sounds scary, if you do the math you learn that it’s not. If you read just three stories a day, you will have read a thousand stories before your baby’s first birthday.
So to get you on your way, savor Mem Fox’s Reading Magic for yourself and delight in reading Fox’s Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes to your little one. If you do, you’ll soon find that, as Mem Fox says your little one will
“snuggle in tight and fall asleep with a head full of thinking, a heart at peace, and a brain on fire with the excitement of books.”
And who doesn’t wish for that?
An experienced reading specialist and speech language pathologist, Stacey Loscalzo is today’s go-to authority for those who wish to instill a lifelong love of reading in their children. The mother of two young daughters, Stacey knows that reading aloud with children puts them on the path to long-term educational success. Working with parents, schools, bookstores and community organizations, Stacey provides a range of consulting services, from reading assessments and customized reading lists based on a child’s particular interests to parent workshops and professional development training for teachers. Stacey is well regarded for her fresh, current and quality children’s literature recommendations.
Contact Stacey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact Elaine at 973-291-8200. Email email@example.com. Visit my website here.
Scroll over the “SHARE” icon, just below, to follow Tender Times Doula on Facebook and recommend this post to a friend.
Have Tender Times blog posts delivered to your inbox. Click on “Sign me up” at the top of the right column.